Xsquared Architects has undertaken many other correctional projects for the Department of Justice over the last fifteen years including, but not limited to:
- Launceston Supreme Court Upgrade, Police Out of Courts, 2018-2019
- Launceston Reception Prison, Staff Area Upgrades, 2018-2019
- Ron Barwick Prison Multipurpose Rooms, 2021
- Northern Prison Masterplan, 2019
- Tasmanian Prison Service Strategic Infrastructure Framework Masterplan, 2017-2018
- Dr Vanessa Goodwin Cottages, Mary Hutchinson Women’s Prison 20 Bed and Mother and Baby Unit, design and planning permit stages, 2016-2017
- Mary Hutchinson Women Prison New Observation Cell, 2015-2016
- Tasmanian Prison Service State-wide Masterplan, 2015
- Launceston Reception Prison, Safety and Security Project, 2014-2015
Along with our experience on the Southern Remand Centre and Risdon Prison Infrastructure Redevelopment Stage D projects, this means Xsquared Architects is at the forefront of correctional architecture knowledge and experience in Tasmania.
Our Director, Alex Newman, was awarded a Churchill Fellowship in 2020 to build on his existing extensive knowledge of correctional architecture. He will be visiting some of the world’s best practice prisons in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Greenland, Scotland and Austria in 2022, COVID-19 restrictions permitting. His research will involve visiting the prisons themselves, interviewing staff, and speaking with the architects involved. Research findings will be shared with the wider correctional community upon his return.