The Ibis Styles Hobart Hotel opened in mid-2017. As lead consultant, Xsquared Architects worked proactively with the developer, consultant team and builder to ensure that the Hotel opened on time and was delivered on budget. The 296 room Hotel is the largest in Tasmania, and incorporates a wide range of high quality amenities including an enclosed roof top swimming pool, gym, meeting rooms, restaurant and retail tenancies.
The project is unique in Australia, having achieved a 5 star Green Star Design & As Built v.1 rating. Achievement of this benchmark makes the Ibis Styles Hobart Hotel the first in Tasmania and only the second in Australia to achieve a Green Star rating, and the first nationwide to achieve a 5 star rating. From the outset of the design care was taken to ensure that the building’s immediate and lifecycle impacts were considered and mitigated to the full extent possible. From water harvesting to energy efficient mechanical systems the building typifies how sustainable principles can be harmoniously incorporated into a new commercial building. It is not just in building performance that the building excels however, with high quality lighting and acoustics delivering indoor spaces that contribute positively to the health and wellbeing of both guests and staff. These holistic achievements are reflected in the Hotel receiving the following awards:
- 2019 Winner Australian Tourism Awards – Standard Accommodation
- 2019 Winner Tasmanian Tourism Awards – Standard Accommodation
- 2019 THA Best Environmental and Recycling Practice Award
- 2018 Winner Tasmanian Tourism Awards – Standard Accommodation
- 2018 Finalist Australian Tourism Awards – Standard Accommodation
- 2018 Winner THA Best Accessible Hotel