Forming a new cultural centre
Burnie Cultural Centre is an ambitious transformation project. A new cultural centre is formed by renovations and additions to the Burnie Arts and Function Centre and by integrating the Burnie Regional Art Gallery and Burnie Regional Museum into one building. This project creates a dynamic, contemporary, visual and performing arts centre within Burnie’s existing cultural precinct.
Modifications to the Centre include:
- Providing new entry, reception and front of house facilities
- New public café on the south side of the building
- Modernising amenities, improving access and circulation
- Creating links between the new additions, ‘Artcade’ and civic plaza
- Refurbishing existing spaces to create more open and flexible exhibition, function and performance spaces
- Integrating museum objects into built elements on permanent display
- Adding a courtyard roof and new external cladding
- Landscaping and signage
This project creates a vibrant cultural precinct, with better connectivity to the CBD and enhanced community engagement.
Works will take place in two stages until mid-2024. Stage one focuses on the southern end of the building until September 2023.
The Burnie Arts and Function Centre will continue to operate throughout the redevelopment period.